Reports To: Library Director
The primary duties of this position are to provide circulation and customer service to library patrons, including but not limited to checkout, registration, cash handling, check-in, and assistance with public computers and technology. Individuals in this position may also perform important backroom functions such as processing, simple cataloging, interlibrary loan services, and more. As a member of the Circulation Services team, this position works closely with other Technicians and Aides to deliver excellent customer service to the community.
Essential Job Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provides prompt, courteous, and direct assistance to all patrons on the library's service desk. Such assistance includes but is not limited to circulation, simple reference, technical help, and referrals.
- Checks in library materials and routes items to the proper locations, including items received via courier.
- Shelves new and returned library materials.
- Locates and processes items on hold for patrons and staff from the Jefferson County Library District and other resource-sharing partner libraries.
- Assists in processing books for circulation, including dust-jacketing, laminating, and encoding tags.
- Assists in collections-related projects such as inventory, missing item searches, and others.
- Assists with the library’s out-of-system interlibrary loan services, as requested.
- Assists in implementing shifting of books and other materials.
- Works with library patrons with a wide variety of backgrounds, capacities, needs, and experiences to direct them to specific areas of the library or an appropriate staff member.
- Attends and participates in library and County meetings, committees, and trainings.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes
- Library organization systems, including Dewey Decimal Classification.
- Standard library and consumer technology, Internet, and social media.
- Basic business mathematics and recordkeeping.
- Effective written, verbal, and digital communication skills aimed at staff and patrons of all ages and backgrounds.
- Cultural competency.
- Bilingual English/Spanish fluency preferred.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and open-mindedness to work in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Strong public service mindset.
- Ethical conduct.
This position does not supervise other employees but may direct the work of volunteers.
This position works in a variety of roles mostly but not exclusively inside the library. Individuals in this position routinely use standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines as well as library-specific equipment such as barcode scanners, book carts and bins, crates, and mobile devices. Software requirements include basic office applications, integrated library systems, Internet, social media, digital media, and a variety of electronic resources and mobile applications.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and read. The employee is regularly required to sit, stand for extended periods usually not exceeding 3 hours, walk, lift, use hands, and reach. Ability to lift up to 40 pounds, push bins and carts up to 75 pounds, twist, and bend.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This position may be either part- or full-time, between 10 and 40 hours per week. Days and hours of work typically are Monday through Friday but also include some regularly scheduled evening and weekend shifts.
Occasional travel in and outside of the County may be required.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years’ experience working in customer service, preferably in a library.
- Any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training satisfying the above
Additional Eligibility Requirements
- Ability to complete a thorough employment and/or criminal history check.
- This position is ‘at-will,’ and either the Jefferson County Library District or the employee may terminate the relationship at any time with or without cause.
- The Jefferson County Library District is an equal opportunity employer.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: From $12.00 per hour
Apply by submitting a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, in person at 241 SE 7TH ST, MADRAS OR 97741, or submit a resume in the box below.